Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Why it’s dangerous for writers to have a few minutes of free time.

Note: This blog was originally published on my MySpace blog, March 26, 2008.




I made deviled eggs for Easter. My first time. They turned out really well, and I was impressed with myself.


Yesterday, I took one of those deviled eggs and deep fried the sucker. When it was done (yep, ate it), I called and/or emailed all of my friends saying something along the lines of "Dude! I totally just deep fried a deviled egg!"


Responses were mixed. Two friends were royally squicked: "Ew! I HATE deviled eggs and then you went and deep fried it!" The others laughed long and hard. All of them asked the same question.


"Why?"


Truth is, I have no idea what possessed me to do it. I’d just finished revising (and when I say revising this time around, I mean something closer to overhauling) a novel, I took care of a myriad of random things that needed tending to, I watched some anime. Then yesterday I was getting the eggs out of the fridge, and I noticed that I still had canola oil in my wok, and it just seemed like a good plan.


What did it taste like?


Bizarre. It came out crispy on the outside like a country-fried egg, and then the inside was still that classic deviled egg softness. I’m still not sure whether I liked it or not. Eating it probably took ten years off my life.


But it was much fun and my friends and I had a good laugh over it. Now I’m totally curious—


What kinds of crazy things have you done when you’ve been bored?

No comments:

Followers