Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Blood equals Smex

Note: This blog was originally published on my MySpace blog, May 2, 2008.




I like to think most of my characters are pretty sweet. I've been told by more than one person that this just isn't true, so that probably says something about me right there.


But sometimes, gawd, I just want a hardcore blood=smex yaoi that makes my heart race.



Note: "Blood=smex" is a wise and ancient concept which states that if two hot guys are trying to kill each other, then of course they *must* harbor sexual feelings for each other. ExampleByakuya x Renji.


A while back I bought Best of Enemies by Cassidy Ryan, and I'd never gotten around to opening the file. I'd picked it up based on an excerpt I read at an M/M chat (lesson: e-loop chats find you all kinds of treasures), fully intent on reading it right away. Life got in the way, that didn't happen, and I didn't really think about it. Tonight, because I was aching to read something and didn't know what the hell I was craving, I opened up the file. I finished the story about, oh, five minutes ago.


Holy. Freaking. Smack.


It's only 3900 words, but damn. Hot, slightly sadistic vampire. Sexy, slightly vengeful sorcerer. Smart mouths and angry, angry sex all around. Turned out to be exactly what I needed. Since all my friends were snug in their beds by the time I read it, blogging about it was my only option. I'm still wired from my fling with Byron and Simeon, despite the fact that even now I'm not quite sure how to pronounce "Simeon." I keep trying to pronounce it "simian," which can't possibly be right. "Sime-on," maybe, although that didn't occur to me until just now. I tend to be a little slow on the uptake.


They were great. With these two characters, I never did fully understand why it was blood=smex and not blood=BLOOD, since they'd done some pretty horrible things to each other in the past. But hell, even the not knowing works for the story because the whole thing is quick, raw, riveting. They kick ass while having sex, and that part is…


Definitely a guilty pleasure.


There it is. You've probably figured out by now why I don't write reviews. When I like something, I squee and ramble, which really isn't a good combination. So here's the good stuff:


Best of Enemies
Cassidy Ryan
Torquere Press
http://www.torquerebooks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=79_93&products_id=1184


If you've read it, or you pick it up, drop me a line and let me know what you think, okay?

No comments:

Followers